Disclaimer: Mufti News is a satirical website.
Amos Yee is a Youtuber who uses satire and vulgarity to promote freedom of speech. He recently made a video where he points out the misogyny/violence in the Quran then desecrates it. By desecrate, I mean he rips out pages from the Quran and dry humps it.
This caused a wave of Muslims to take notice of atheist debunks of Islam on Youtube, and brand it as “hate speech.”
Recently there was an article by MuftiNews stating how Amos Yee has converted to Islam and became a Mufti. A Mufti is a Muslim legal expert who is empowered to give rulings on religious matters. The same website also stated how Mufti Amos had plans on creating an Islamic Theme Park. Click for more!
In the video below I discuss my thoughts on the the Shooter in the Orlando shootings and the often overlooked issue of Muslim Homophobia. I share some of my nuanced experiences. Enjoy! Click for more!
In the video below, I speak with my new friend Zohal on her life story. She provides some fascinating nuances on how feminism is helpful in an Islamic context. Enjoy! Click for more!
During the month of Ramadan, a state owned fuel company in Jakarta, Indonesia is offering two liters of free petrol per chapter read to motorcyclists. There are prayer rooms set up in the gas stations to accommodate this endeavor. The program organizers say the goal is to promote Islam in society. Click for more!
This conversation was amazing. You should check it out! Click for more!
In the video below, I discuss with the man from the Honest Muslim Youtube Channel, Ahmed about his journey to apostasy. This is a fascinating story of inner reflection because Ahmed was a fierce Islamic preacher and leader of his local Muslim community. Ahmed shares with us his inner journey and rationale. Enjoy! Click for more!
The following is a guest contribution by “Hope.”
Choosing My Own Chains
- “The shackles of Ms. Clairol… you are a slave to the cosmetics industry… a prisoner of Hollywood’s concept of beauty… if you don’t’ fit their standards you are nothing! Allah subhanawata’ala gives you freedom from all of that.”
- “A woman is like a piece of candy – she must be covered to not let filth pollute her.”
- “A man is like a stone, if you drop the stone in mud, you can wash it clean; however, a woman is like a piece of silk, if you drop it in mud it is forever soiled.”
- “Your husband is like your father except you bear children with him.”
- “A woman needs “ta’deeb” (discipline) which is why Allah gave men the right to hit her, she is in her nature rebellious; therefore, the man who hits his wife honors her by keeping her “ala al sirat al mustaqueem” (on the righteous/straight path).
Yes, I was well versed in this rhetoric; it was instilled in me as a young girl. I fell for it too. Click to keep reading!
There is a famous hadith commonly quoted by Muslims on Ramadan. The hadith goes as follows:
Narrated Abu Huraira:
Allah’s Messenger (ﷺ) said, “When the month of Ramadan starts, the gates of the heaven are opened and the gates of Hell are closed and the devils are chained.” (Sahih al-Bukhari 1899)
According to this Hadith, the devils are chained. The devils are what causes evil desires and actions. By this logic: [the Islamic version of] evil is chained.
But is it really?
- I lost faith in Islam during Ramadan of 2012 after a long period of doubt and critical examination.
- Indonesian Police forces warn their local communities on rising crime rates (such as theft, prostitution and mugging) in Ramadan compared to the rest of the year. (Also try this article.)
- Egypt has witnessed rising crime rates in Ramadan
- Child trafficking increases in Yemen during Ramadan.
- According to a study in Morocco, irritability increases in the month of Ramadan.