In the video below I discuss my thoughts on the the Shooter in the Orlando shootings and the often overlooked issue of Muslim Homophobia. I share some of my nuanced experiences. Enjoy! Click for more!
In the video below, I speak with my new friend Zohal on her life story. She provides some fascinating nuances on how feminism is helpful in an Islamic context. Enjoy! Click for more!
The following is a guest contribution by “Hope.”
Choosing My Own Chains
- “The shackles of Ms. Clairol… you are a slave to the cosmetics industry… a prisoner of Hollywood’s concept of beauty… if you don’t’ fit their standards you are nothing! Allah subhanawata’ala gives you freedom from all of that.”
- “A woman is like a piece of candy – she must be covered to not let filth pollute her.”
- “A man is like a stone, if you drop the stone in mud, you can wash it clean; however, a woman is like a piece of silk, if you drop it in mud it is forever soiled.”
- “Your husband is like your father except you bear children with him.”
- “A woman needs “ta’deeb” (discipline) which is why Allah gave men the right to hit her, she is in her nature rebellious; therefore, the man who hits his wife honors her by keeping her “ala al sirat al mustaqueem” (on the righteous/straight path).
Yes, I was well versed in this rhetoric; it was instilled in me as a young girl. I fell for it too. Click to keep reading!
In the video below I go over a young woman’s forced marriage case and how Muslims in the West tend to respond to stories like those. Enjoy! Continue reading
In the video below I have a productive conversation with Sophie Thomas about the Social Justice Warrior Trend and the recent disruption of Milo Yiannopolous in his event at Depaul University. Click for more!