In this video I chat with my good friend Yasmine on her autobiography! Yasmine’s work can be found here.
This conversation was amazing. You should check it out! Click for more!
The following is a guest contribution by “Hope.”
Choosing My Own Chains
- “The shackles of Ms. Clairol… you are a slave to the cosmetics industry… a prisoner of Hollywood’s concept of beauty… if you don’t’ fit their standards you are nothing! Allah subhanawata’ala gives you freedom from all of that.”
- “A woman is like a piece of candy – she must be covered to not let filth pollute her.”
- “A man is like a stone, if you drop the stone in mud, you can wash it clean; however, a woman is like a piece of silk, if you drop it in mud it is forever soiled.”
- “Your husband is like your father except you bear children with him.”
- “A woman needs “ta’deeb” (discipline) which is why Allah gave men the right to hit her, she is in her nature rebellious; therefore, the man who hits his wife honors her by keeping her “ala al sirat al mustaqueem” (on the righteous/straight path).
Yes, I was well versed in this rhetoric; it was instilled in me as a young girl. I fell for it too. Click to keep reading!
In the video below I go over a young woman’s forced marriage case and how Muslims in the West tend to respond to stories like those. Enjoy! Continue reading
In the video below I have a productive conversation with Sophie Thomas about the Social Justice Warrior Trend and the recent disruption of Milo Yiannopolous in his event at Depaul University. Click for more!
The following is a guest contribution by “Anna Kafra.”
(a story of mental gymnastics)
I never chose to be Muslim. Most of us don’t even if we do defend it any chance we get. I was a big defender.
We’re taught at an early age that there is no god but Allah. Mohammad is the messenger of Allah.
We’re taught that Allah is the greatest, creator of everything, and that it’s haram to ask why or how, or to deny this.
We’re taught that it’s better not to know some things, because knowledge can be bad. Click to keep reading!
The Twitter page @exmuslimbecause began to revive the #exmuslimbecause. As expected, Muslims did not appreciate this hashtag very much because it offended their faith. So they began to tweet sarcastic remarks under the #. Others attempted to disagree with and challenge the #.
One young woman and I had a brief exchange in the midst of this. I will paste the screen shots below. I kept her username and photo out to maintain her anonymity because I would much rather focus on discussing her thought than single her out and bully her. #realtalk Click for more!
Very recently there was a family therapist out of Saudi Arabia that gave marital advice on how to properly beat your wife. Let’s discuss the videos and its standing in Islamic scriptures. Click for to keep reading!
FEMEN is a feminist activist group internationally known for organizing topless protests. Recently they have protested at an Islamic event in Denmark where Tariq Ramadan, a renowned Islamic scholar was speaking on stage.
Picture this: Tariq Ramadan is on stage speaking with conservative Muslims about Islam and women in niqab jump on stage and strip.
Here’s the video: Click for more!
In the video below I have a conversation with Sara who used to be in the social justice circles. Sara discusses her shifting world view and how it affected her emotional and social health. She definitely provides a lot of nuances from the Far-left worldview! Enjoy! Click for more!